- PostSenior Lecturer at Faculty of Applied Optics
In 2001, Ilia Smilga graduated from the St. Petersburg Stieglitz State Academy of Art and Design with a degree in environmental design.
- since 2016 — ITMO University, senior lecturer at the Faculty of Applied Optics;
- 2013–2014 — the State Russian Museum, designer;
- 2012–2015 — St. Petersburg Stieglitz State Academy of Art and Design, senior lecturer at the Department of Industrial Design;
- 2012–2013 — Gradi Expo, designer of exhibition halls;
- 2010–2011 — Pella shipbuilding plant, designer;
- from 2009 to the present day — head of the Smilga Design studio;
- 2005–2015 — St. Petersburg Stieglitz State Academy of Art and Design, senior lecturer at the Department of Environmental Design;
- 2005–2013 — Zero Headline Advertising, designer;
- 1994–2001 — Three Arts journal, editor.
Ilia Smilga's research interests include design, parametric systems, and creative technologies.