Research and development have always been top priorities for ITMO University. Many findings by the researchers of our university in 20th century determined the development of Soviet and global science and technology.
Many projects by our staff found commercial application and brought on significant technological and economic change. The use of wide-angle lenses “Russar” constructed by Prof. Rusinov allowed in the 1960s to complete cartographic aerial photography of the Soviet Union, including the North Pole. The first universal computing machine for engineering calculations “LITMO-1” was constructed at our university in 1956.
Our Top Research Fields
- Basic and critical military and industrial technology for development of advanced weapons, military and special equipment,
- Genomic, proteomic and post-genomic technologies
- Computer modeling of nanomaterials, nanoequipment and technologies
- Nano, bio, information and cognitive technologies
- Technologies for diagnosing nanomaterials and nanoequipment
- Technologies for access to broadband multimedia services
- Technologies for information, management and navigation systems
- Technologies for microsystems and nanoequipment
- Technologies for receiving and processing functional nanomaterials
- Technologies and software for distributed and high-performance computing systems
- Technologies for monitoring and prognosis of the state of the environment, pollution prevention and elimination
- Technologies for prediction of environmental and technological disasters
- New generation of technologies for space and transport equipment
- Technologies for development of an electronic component base and energy-efficient lighting equipment.
Watch computer modeling video