Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science (ITMO University)
Duration: 2 years, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 09 August 2021
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Medicine or related field with excellent/good grades, CV & motivation letter. Upper-intermediate level of English language (B2 according to CEFR)*
Tuition Fee: 251,000 rubles per year for Russian students; 271,000 rubles per year for international students
Specialists working in the field of biology and biotechnology will undoubtedly be demanded at leading scientific institutions and companies both in Russia and abroad in such areas as medical and pharmaceutical industry, biological, biotechnology, food and chemical enterprises.
Benefits of the Program
- The program is delivered at SCAMT Lab (Solution Chemistry of Advanced Materials and Technologies), one of the leading departments of ITMO University working on interdisciplinary research in the fields of biology, chemistry, and IT.
- Young professors with relevant work experience gained in such prominent universities as the University of Central Florida, University of Leipzig, Hebrew University, and others.
- The students have an excellent opportunity for research and educational internships abroad.
- Nice bonus! The most successful candidates will be nominated for ITMO СhemBio Cluster Scholarship.
The Molecular Biology and Biotechnology program aims to train highly qualified specialists in the fields of new methods for diagnostics and treatment, drug delivery, nanodevices and materials with new properties. This program is intended for those wishing to do world-level science during their Master's studies.
The program uses an innovative interdisciplinary approach, combining modern information technologies and state-of-art practical methods. The program is based on a synergy of experiments and modeling in cell, molecular- and microbiology and biochemistry.
The practical part is supported by theoretical courses of top-tier scientists who specialize in the fields of molecular biology, oncology, new materials for biomedical applications, marketing of new technologies, etc.
The students can perform a research project in one of the research groups or work on their own startups at industrial laboratories. Depending on the project, from the second semester, the students choose an individual learning track in one of the following specializations:
- Modern Cell Biology and Microbiology
- Molecular Biology
- Industrial Brokerage in the Field of Biotechnology
- Covers such important issues as highly selective molecular diagnostics technologies of human genetic and infectious diseases based on engineering of functional nanodevices.
- Focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to nanomaterial engineering and genetic engineering for sustainability. The program involves a wide range of courses delivered by world-class scientists affiliated with the research center on such subjects as molecular biology; biotechnology; genetic engineering, biochemistry; nanotechnology; inorganic chemistry & materials science; sol-gel chemistry, etc.
- Offers an individual approach to unleash the potential and talents of the students
- Provides access to modern research facilities of the center such as equipment for advanced materials synthesis, bioengineering equipment, electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, as well as infrastructure for computational analysis.
- Creates an opportunity for students to carry out research on topics related to current social issues in collaboration with ambitious research teams affiliated with the research center.
Content of the Program
- Creative Technologies, 4 ECTS
- High Tech Business Creation, 4 ECTS
- Thinking (Conceptual Analysis of Trends in Science Today), 4 ECTS
- Foreign Language in Professional Activity, 4 ECTS
- Soft Skills, 4 ECTS
- Data Processing and Analysis, 3 ECTS
- Molecular Biology, 6 ECTS
- Research Work, 9 ECTS
- Foreign Language in Professional Activity, 2 ECTS
- Applied Artificial Intelligence, 3 ECTS
- Nanobiotechnologies, 3 ECTS
- Basics of Genetic Engineering, 6 ECTS
- Methods in Nanomedicine, 6 ECTS
- Molecular Oncology / Modern Technologies for Manufacturing Nanoscale Objects and Materials / Proteomics, 3 ECTS
- Research Work, 9 ECTS
- Bioinformatics, 6 ECTS
- Advanced Biochemistry / Creation, Implementation and Promotion New Technology and Materials into the Global Market / Molecular Biorobotics, 6 ECTS
- Fundamentals of Cell Metabolism and Signaling / Technological Forecasting and Marketing / Molecular Neuroscience, 6 ECTS
- Research Work, 12 ECTS
- Research Work, 12 ECTS
- Predefence Research Work, 12 ECTS
- Master's Thesis, 6 ECTS
*The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully.
The list of entrance examination questions
Want to know more? Read the stories of international students at the Molecular Biology and Biotechnology program to learn more about the major and their experiences:
- Moustapha Nour, Djibouti
- Subhrajit Barua, India
How to apply?
To apply, please fill in the application form and follow our step-by-step application guide for more details.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
- ITMO International Admission Office, email@example.com
- Program Coordinator, ITMO СhemBio Cluster, Polina Khapaeva firstname.lastname@example.org