Chemistry of Applied Materials
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science (ITMO University)
Duration: 2 years, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 09 August 2021
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field with excellent/good grades, CV & motivation letter. Upper-intermediate level of the English language (B2 according to CEFR)*
Tuition Fee: 251,000 rubles per year for Russian students; 271,000 rubles per year for international students
This interdisciplinary program focuses on the modern aspects of nanotechnology for chemistry and material science. Special emphasis is made on engineering of functional nanoarchitectures for catalysis, biomedical applications, and photonics.
Specialists with interdisciplinary experience in chemistry, material science, biology and IT, will undoubtedly be demanded at leading scientific institutions both in Russia and abroad in such areas as medical and pharmaceutical industry, food and chemical enterprises at biotechnology and engineering companies and holdings.
The program uniquely combines the state-of-the-art computational and practical aspects of material sciences and nanotechnology. It effectively bridges material sciences and information technologies, both strategic research areas of ITMO University.
Benefits of the Program
The program is delivered under the aegis of SCAMT Lab (Solution Chemistry of Advanced Materials and Technologies), the ITMO department specializing in hybrid materials creation by soft solution chemical methods in nanomaterial science and development of biomedical, optical materials and advanced industrial materials.
- The students can perform research projects in one of the research groups or work on their own startups at an industrial laboratory. Depending on the project, from the second semester, the students choose individual learning tracks in one of the following specializations:
- Computational Design of Materials;
- Applied Materials;
- Industrial Brokerage in the Field of Nanoengineering.
- Young professors with relevant work experience gained in such prominent universities as Eindhoven, University of Central Florida, University of Leipzig, Hebrew University and others.
- The students have an excellent opportunity for research and educational internship at the world's top universities: Leipzig University, University of Liege, Trinity College, University of Waterloo, University of Aveiro, and more.
- Nice bonus! The most successful candidates will be nominated for ITMO СhemBio Cluster Scholarship.
- Covers fundamentals of multiscale phenomena underlying engineering of nanodevices from molecular inorganic chemistry to sol-gel processes and interface phenomena.
- Focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to nanomaterial engineering for sustainability. The program involves a wide range of courses given by top-tier scientists affiliated with the research center on such subjects as green chemistry; catalysis science and technology; inorganic chemistry & material science; sol-gel chemistry; computational modeling in material sciences, etc.
- Offers an individual approach to explore the potential and talents of the students
- Provides access to modern research facilities of the center such as equipment for advanced materials synthesis, physical-chemical characterization, electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, as well as infrastructure for computational chemistry.
- Creates an opportunity for students to carry out research on topics related to current social problems in ambitious research teams affiliated with the research center.
Content of the Program
- Creative Technologies, 4 ECTS
- High Tech Business Creation, 4 ECTS
- Thinking (Conceptual Analysis of Trends in Science Today), 4 ECTS
- Foreign Language in Professional Activity, 4 ECTS
- Soft Skills, 4 ECTS
- Data Processing and Analysis 3 ECTS
- Inorganic Chemistry of Materials 6 ECTS
- Research Work 9 ECTS
- Foreign Language in Professional Activity, 2 ECTS
- Applied Artificial Intelligence, 3 ECTS
- Nanobiotechnologies, 3 ECTS
- Advanced Materials, 6 ECTS
- Advanced Methods in Chemical Nanoengineering, 6 ECTS
- Preclinical studies / Computational Methods and Modeling in Materials Chemistry / Smart Materials / Modern Technologies for Manufacturing Nanoscale Objects and Materials, 3 ECTS
- Research Work, 9 ECTS
- Nanoengineering and nanofabrication, 6 ECTS
- Nanotoxicology / Catalysts and Green Chemistry / Advanced Materials for Biomedical Applications / Creation, Implementation and Promotion New Technology and Materials into the Global Market, 6 ECTS
- Advanced Materials for Biomedical Applications / Molecular Electronic Structure and Band Theory / Solution Chemistry of Materials / Technological Forecasting and Marketing, 6 ECTS
- Research Work, 12 ECTS
- Research Work, 12 ECTS
- Predefence Research Work 12 ECTS
- Master's Thesis, 6 ECTS
*The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully.
The list of entrance examination questions
Want to know more? Read the stories of international students at the Chemistry of Applied Materials program to learn more about the major and their experiences:
- Weini Teweldebrhan, Eritrea
- Tsegai Tekle, Eritrea
How to apply?
To apply, please fill in the application form and follow our step-by-step application guide for more details.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
- ITMO International Admission Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Coordinator, ITMO СhemBio Cluster, Polina Khapaeva email@example.com