Education and Qualification
In 1975, Alexander Baranov graduated from Leningrad State University with a degree in Optics and Spectroscopy. In 1979, he defended his PhD thesis in Quantum Electronics, while in 1999, he defended his DSc thesis in Optics.
From 1978 to 2006, he worked at the Vavilov State Optical Institute (St. Petersburg) as a junior and then chief research assistant. From 2006, he has been working at ITMO University as a Professor at the Faculty of Photonics and Optical Information, as well as the Head of ITMO's Laboratory of Optics of Quantum Nanostructures, and a Chief Research Associate of the Center of Optical Information Technologies.
Apart from that, Prof. Baranov also worked as an invited professor at a range of universities, such as:
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, Reims University, France (1994);
- Visitor Scientist, Research Institute for Electronic Science, Hokkaido University, Japan (1994);
- Foreign Professor, Institute of Physics, University of Tsukuba, Japan (1997);
- Visiting Researcher, Masumoto Single Quantum Dot Project, ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, Tsukuba, Japan (1999);
- Visiting Lecturer, Interactive Research Center of Science, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan (2004);
- Invited Professor at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland (2005).
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Award, Japan (2003)
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Award, Japan (1998)
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Award, Japan (1996)
- CNRS Fellowship Award, France (1995)
Alexander Baranov's research interests include R&D in Nanoscience, Physics of Low-dimensional Solid Systems and Nanostructures, Electronic and Optical Properties of Nanostructures, and Linear and Nonlinear Resonant Optical Spectroscopy, among others.
Chapter in books:
- A .V. Baranov. Resonant two-photon spectroscopy of quantum dots. In: Semiconductor Quantum Dots — Physics, Spectroscopy and Application, ed. by Y. Masumoto and T. Takagahara (Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo, 2002). P. 295—324.
- A . V. Baranov, T. S. Perova, S. Solosin, R. A. Moore, V. Yam, V. Le Thanh, and D. Bouchier. Polarized Raman spectroscopy of single layer and multilayer Ge/Si(001) quantum dot heterostructures. In Frontiers in Molecular-Scale Science and Technology of Nanocarbon, NanoSilicon and Biopolymer Multifunctional Nanosystems, ed by E. Buzaneva and P. Scharff, Series: NATO Science (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003), p. 230—245.
- A . V. Fedorov, A. V. Baranov. Optics of Quantum Dots, Optics of Nanostructures, Edited by A.V. Fedorov. Nedra, St. Petersburg, 2005. Pp. 181—274.
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, and V.L. Ermolaev. Resonance Raman scattering (RS) spectra of triplet molecules. JETP Lett. 1980.V.32, No.8.pp.493—5.
- A.V. Baranov and Ya.S. Bobovich. Giant Raman scattering as a structural-analytic method for material studies. Opt.Spectrosc. 1982.V.52, No.3.pp.231—3.
- A.V. Baranov and Ya.S. Bobovich. Super-enhanced hyper-Raman scattering from dyes adsorbed on colloidal silver particles. JETP Lett.1982.V.36, No.8. pp.339—43.
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, and V.I. Petrov. Resonance inelastic three-photon scattering: physical model and experimental results. Sov.Phys.JETP.1985.V.61, No.3.pp.435—42.
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, N.I. Grebenshchikova, V.I. Petrov, and M.Ya. Tsenter. Detection of resonance two- and three-photon scattering by submicroscopic semiconductor crystals. Opt.Spectrosc.1986.V.60, No.6. pp. 685—6.
- A.V. Baranov, A.N. Bekhterev, Ya.S. Bobovich, and V.I. Petrov. Interpretation of certain characteristics in Raman spectra of graphite and glassy carbon. Opt.Spectrosc.1987.V.62,No.5. pp. 612— 16.
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, and V.I. Petrov. Excitation spectrum of resonance Raman scattering by CaSxSe1-x microparticles. Opt.Spectrosc.1988.V.65,No.5.pp.628—30.
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, and V.I. Petrov. Spectroscopy of resonance hyper-Raman scattering of light. Sov.Phys.Usp.1990. V.33,No.10.pp.812—832
- A.V. Baranov, Ya.S. Bobovich, V.I. Petrov. Evidence of quantum-size effect and electron-phonon interaction in resonance Raman scattering spectra of semiconductor nanocrystals. J. Raman Spectr. 24, 767—73 (1993).
- Nabiev, A. Baranov, I. Shourpa, A. Boljebbar, G. D. Sockalingum, M. Manfait. Does adsorption on the surface of silver colloid perturb drug/DNA interactions? J. Phys. Chem. 99, 1608—13 (1995).
- A.V. Baranov, K. Inoue, K. Toba, A. Yamanaka, V. I. Petrov, and A. V. Fedorov. Resonant hyper-Raman and second-harmonic scatterings in a CdS quantum dot system. Phys. Rev. B 53, R1721—24 (1996).
- K. Inoue, A. Yamanaka, K. Toba, A.V. Baranov, A.V. Fedorov, and A.A. Onushchenko. Anomalous features of resonant hyper-Raman scattering in a CuBr quantum dot system: Evidence of exciton-phonon-coupled states similar to molecules. Phys. Rev. B 54. R8321—24 (1996).
- A.V. Baranov, Y. Masumoto, K. Inoue, A.V. Fedorov and A.A. Onushchenko. Size-selective two-photon spectroscopy of CuCl spherical quantum dots. Phys. Rev. B 55, 15675—15680 (1997).
- A.V. Baranov, V.G. Davydov, A.V. Fedorov, H.W. Ren, S. Sugou, and Y. Masumoto. Interferometric coherency measurement of stress-induced InGaAs/GaAs quantum dots at the resonant luminescence phonon sideband. Phys. Rev. B 66, 075326 (2002).
- A.V. Baranov, Yu. P. Rakovich, J . F . Donegan, T. S. Perova, R . A. Moore, D. V. Talapin, A . L. Rogach, Y. Masumoto, I. Nabiev. Effect of ZnS shell thickness on the phonon spectra in CdSe quantum dots. Phys. Rev.B. 68 , 165306 (2003). IF 3.3 32
- A.V. Baranov, A.V. Fedorov, I.D. Rukhlenko, and Y. Masumoto. Intraband carrier relaxation in quantum dots embedded in doped heterostructures. Phys. Rev. B 68. 205318 (2003).
- R. Wargnier, A. V. Baranov, V. G. Maslov, V. Stsiapura, M. Artemyev, M. Pluot, A. Sukhanova, and I. Nabiev. Energy Transfer in Aqueous Solutions of Oppositely Charged CdSe/ZnS Core/Shell Quantum Dots and in Quantum Dot-Nanogold Assemblies. Nano Letters 4 (3), 451—457 (2004).
- A.V. Baranov, T. S. Perova, R. A. Moore, S. Solosin, A. V. Fedorov, V. Yam, V. Le Thanh, and D. Bouchier. Polarized Raman spectroscopy of multilayer Ge/Si(001) quantum dot heterostructures. J. Appl. Phys. 96, 2857—2863 (2004).
- V.Stsiapura, A. Sukhanova, M. Artemyev, M. Pluot, J.H.M. Cohen, A.V Baranov, V. Oleinikov, I. Nabiev. Functionalized nanocrystal -tagged fluorescent polymer beads: synthesis, physicochemical characterization, and immunolabeling application. Anal. Biochem. 342, 257—265 (2004).
- A.V. Fedorov, A.V. Baranov, I.D. Rukhlenko, and S.V. Gaponenko. Enhanced intraband carrier relaxation in quantum dots due to the effect of plasmon-LO-phonon density of states in doped heterostructures. Phys..Rev. B 71 (19), 195310—195318 (2005).
- V. Stsiapura, A. Sukhanova, A. Baranov, M. Artemyev, O. Kulakovich, V. Oleinikov, M. Pluot, J.H.M. Cohen, and I. Nabiev. DNA-assisted formation of quasi-nanowires from fluorescent CdSe/ZnS nanocrystals. Nanotechnology 17, 581—587 (2006).
- A.V. Baranov, A. V. Fedorov, T.S. Perova, R.A. Moore, V. Yam, D. Bouchier, V. Le Thanh. and K. Berwick. Analysis of strain and intermixing in single-layer Ge/Si quantum dots using polarized Raman spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. B 73, 075322—075327 (2006).
- A. Sukhanova, A.V. Baranov, T.S. Perova, J.H.M. Cohen, and I. Nabiev. Controlled Self-Assembly of Nanocrystals into Polycrystalline Fluorescent Dendrites with Energy-Transfer Properties. Angew. Chemie Int. Ed. 45 (13), 2048—2052 (2006).
- A. Sukhanova, A.V. Baranov, D. Klinov, V. Oleinikov, K. Berwick, J.H.M. Cohen, M. Pluot, I. Nabiev. Self-assembly of charged microclusters of CdSe/ZnS core/shell nanodots and nanorods into hierarchically ordered colloidal arrays. Nanotechnology 17, 4223—4228 (2006).
- A. Sukhanova, Y. Volkov, A.L. Rogach, A.V. Baranov, J.H.M. Cohen, I. Nabiev. Lab-in-drop: controlled self-assembly of CdSe/ZnS quantum dots and rods into polycrystalline nanostructures with desired optical properties. Nanotechnology 18 185602 (2007).
- A.V. Fedorov, A.V. Baranov, I.D. Rukhlenko, T.S. Perova, K. Berwick. Quantum dot energy relaxation mediated by plasmon emission in doped covalent semiconductor heterostructures. Phys. Rev. B 7 6 , 045332 (2007) .
- I.D. Rukhlenko, A. V. Fedorov, A.V. Baranov, T. S. Perova, K. Berwick. Tip-enhanced secondary emission of a semiconductor quantum dot. Phys. Rev. B. 77, 045331 (2008) .
- S.Y. Kruchinin, A.V. Fedorov, A.V. Baranov, T.S. Perova, K. Berwick. Resonant Energy Transfer in Quantum Dots: Frequency-Domain Luminescent Spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. B. 78 , 125311 (2008).