In 1986, Vladimir Nikiforov was graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics, which later became ITMO University. In 1991, he defended his PhD thesis on scientific major "Elements and devices of control systems and computers", while in 2001, he defended his DSc thesis on scientific major "System analysis, control and signal processing". In 2003, he was awarded by the title of Professor at ITMO University.
From 1991 to 2004, Vladimir Nikiforov took various positions at ITMO University: Researcher at the Department of Automatic and Remote Control (1991-1992), Lecturer Assistant (1992), Associate Professor (1992-2001) and Professor. In 2013, he was assigned to the position of Vice Rector for Research.
Prof. Nikiforov has collaborated with a range of St. Petersburg's leading research and educational centers, such as the Laboratory of Complex Systems at the Institute for the Problems of Mechanical Engineering of the Russian Academy of Sciences (1993–1995, 2000–2002), Central Research Institute "Elektropribor" (1998–2004), and St. Petersburg State Polygraphic Institute (1994-1998). Apart from that, from 2002 till 2013 he was the Deputy CEO of the LOMO Company.
Vladimir Nikiforov is a prominent scientist. His research interests include adaptive and robust control, automated systems, and signal processing, among others. Prof. Nikiforov is the author of more than 150 publications, including six books and more than 80 research papers, the Chairman of the ITMO University Dissertation Council 03.19.00, and the Editor-in-Chief of two journals: "Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics" and "Control Engineering Russia".
- Fradkov A.L., Miroshnik I.V., Nikiforov V.O. Nonlinear and Adaptive Control of Complex Systems. Dordrecht, Boston, London: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- Miroshnik I.V., Nikiforov V.O., Fradkov A.L., Nonlinear and Adaptive Control of Complex Dynamical Systems. St.Petersburg: Nauka, 2000 (in Russian).
- Nikiforov V.O. Adaptive and Robust Control with Compensation of External Disturbances. St.Petersburg: Nauka, 2003 (in Russian).
- Nikiforov V.O., Ushakov A.V. Control in the Presence of Uncertainties: Sensitivity, Adaptation and Robustness. St.Petersburg: ITMO Publ., 2004 (in Russian).
- Slita O., Nikiforov V.O., Ushakov AV. Control in the Presence of Uncertainties: non-adaptive and adaptive approaches. – Saarbrucken: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publisher, 2012 (in Russian).
- Nikiforov V.O., Elkin A.V., Maslova G.I. Optical microscopes // in ed. Karpichenko A.I. Medical laboratory technologies. – Moskow, «GEOTAR-Media», 2012 (in Russian).
- Nikiforov V.O. Adaptive servomechanism controller with an implicit reference model // International Journal of Control, 1997, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 277-286.
- Nikiforov V.O. Nonlinear Control System with Compensation of External Deterministic Perturbations // Journal of Computer and Systems Sciences International, vol. 36, no. 4, 1997, pp. 564-568.
- Nikiforov V. O. Adaptive non-linear tracking with complete compensation of unknown disturbances // European Journal of Control, vol. 4, no. 2, 1998, pp.132-139.
- Nikiforov V.O. Robust high-order tuner of simplified structure // Automatica, vol. 35, n. 8, 1999, pp.1409-1415.
- Voronov K.V., Koroleva O. I., Nikiforov V.O. Robust Control of Nonlinear Objects with Functional Uncertainties // Automation and Remote Control, vol. 62, no. 2, 2001, pp. 269-277.
- Nikiforov V.O. Nonlinear servocompensation of unknown external disturbances. // Automatica, vol.37, 2001, p.1647–1653.
- Nikiforov V.O., Voronov K.V. Adaptive backstepping with high-order tuner. // Automatica. vol.37, 2001, p.1953–1960.
- Nikiforov V.O., Voronov K.V. Nonlinear adaptive controller with integral action // IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 46, no. 12, 2001, p. 2035–2037.
- Voronov K.V., Nikiforov V.O. A Dynamic Output Controller with Constant Perturbation Compensation // Automation and Remote Control, vol. 64, no. 2, 2003, pp 181-190.
- Nikiforov V.O. Observers of External Deterministic Disturbances. I. Objects with Known Parameters // Automation and Remote Control, vol. 65, no. 10, 2004, pp. 1531-1541.
- Nikiforov V. O. Observers of External Deterministic Disturbances. II. Objects with Unknown Parameters // Automation and Remote Control, vol, 65, no. 11, 2004, pp. 1724-1732.
- Andrievskii B.R., Nikiforov V.O., Fradkov A.L. Adaptive observer-based synchronization of the nonlinear nonassignable systems // Automation and Remote Control, vol. 68, no. 7, 2007, pp. 1186-1200.
- Nikiforov O.V., Pimenov Yu.D., Sokol'skiĭ M.N., Stroganov A.A., and Éfros A.I. The optical system of a wide-angle collimator-type aviation display // Journal of Optical Technology, vol. 76, no. 10, 2009, pp. 620-623.
- Gerasimov D.N., Javaherian H., Efimov D.V., and Nikiforov V.O. Injection Engine as a Control Object. I. Schematic Diagram of the Engine and Synthesis of a Mathematical Model// Journal of Computer and Systems Sciences International, vol. 49, no. 5, 2010, pр. 811-822.
- Gerasimov D.N., Javaherian H., Efimov D.V., and Nikiforov V.O. Injection Engine as a Control Object. II. Problems of Automatic Control of the Engine // Journal of Computer and Systems Sciences International, vol. 49, no. 6, 2010, pр. 998-1008.
- Kolyubin S.A., Efimov D.V., Nikiforov V.O., Bobtsov A. A. Two-channel adaptive hybrid control of the air-to-fuel ratio and torque of automobile engines // Automation and Remote Control, vol. 73, no. 11, 2012, pp. 1794-1807.
- Bobtsov A.A., Nikiforov V.O. Adaptive output control: subject matter, application tasks and solutions. Survey. // Scientific and technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2013, № 1, pp.1-14 (in Russian).
- Gerasimov D.N., Nikiforov V.O., Adaptive Torque Control in Injector Internal Combustion Engines // Mechatronics, automation, control, 2013, №3, с. 47-55 (in Russian).
- Efimov D.V., Nikiforov V.O., Javaherian H. Supervisory control of air–fuel ratio in spark ignition engines // Control Engineering Practice, 2014, vol.30, p. 27-33.
- Gerasimov D.N., Paramonov A.V., Nikiforov V.O. Algorithms of Fast Adaptive Compensation of Disturbance in Linear Systems with Arbitrary Input Delay // 20th IFAC World Congress Papers online, France, Toulouse, July 9-14, 2017, vol. 50, no.1, pp. 12892–12897.
- Gerasimov D.N., Paramonov A.V., Nikiforov V.O. Algorithms of adaptive disturbance compensation in linear systems with arbitrary input delay // International Journal of Control, 2018, pp. 1-9.
- Gerasimov D. N., Ortega R., Nikiforov V.O. Relaxing the high-frequency gain sign assumption in direct model reference adaptive control // European Journal of Control, 2018, vol.43, pp. 12-19.
- Gerasimov D.N., Nikiforov V.O., Belyaev M.E. Performance Improvement of MRAC by Dynamic Regressor Extension // 57th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2018), USA, Miami Beach, Florida, December 17-19, 2018, pp.3032-3037.
- Gerasimov D.N., Miliushin A.S., Nikiforov V.O., Algorithms of adaptive tracking of unknown multisinusoidal signals in linear systems with arbitrary input delay // Int. J. of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 2019, pp.900-912.
- Gerasimov D.N., Miliushin A.S., Nikiforov V.O., Algorithms of adaptive tracking of unknown multi-sinusoidal signals in MIMO linear systems with multiple input delay // American Control Conf. (ACC’19), 2019, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 3014-3019.
- Ortega R., Gerasimov D.N.,Barabanov N.E., Nikiforov V.O., Adaptive control of linear multivariable systems using dynamic regressor extension and mixing estimators: removing the high-frequency gain assumption // Automatica, 2019, December, 108589.