- Laboratory of Quantum Processes and Measurements
- International Research Center of Biophotonics, Optical and Quantum Information
- International Institute of Photonics and Optoinformatics
- Laboratory of Femtosecond Optics and Femtotechnologies
- Laboratory of Digital and Display Holography
- International Scientific-Technical Center for Computational Optics, Photonics and Imaging
- International Laboratory "Mathematical Research Methods of Complex Physical Systems"
- International Laboratory "Networking Technologies in Distributed Computer Systems"
- International laboratory "Advanced Photonic Materials and Technologies"
- International Laboratory "Technosphere Safety"
- International Research Laboratory "Intelligent Optical Systems"
- Research Laboratory for Computer-Aided Design of Optical-Information and Energy Saving Systems
In 2002, ITMO University established the Faculty of Photonics and Optoinformatics and the eponymous program for Specialist’s students, the first of its kind in Russia, which were meant to respond to the rapid growth of the emerging field that develops optical technologies for ultrafast transfer, processing, and recording of information, as well as creates high-speed optical computers and AI systems. The initial program gave rise to present-day educational programs for Bachelor’s and Master’s students that are reviewed and updated following the field’s new advances and trends.
In December 2022, the newly formed Research and Educational Center for Photonics and Optoinformatics became the heir of the department. The center now includes:
Laboratory of Quantum Processes and Measurements;
International Research Center of Biophotonics, Optical and Quantum Information;
Research Center for Optical Material Engineering;
Heritage Science Lab;
Laboratory of Digital and Display Holography.
As of now, the Research and Educational Center for Photonics and Optoinformatics is a department within the School of Physics and Engineering that possesses extensive competencies in such fields as femtosecond and nonlinear optics, quantum technologies, quantum informatics and optoinformatics, optical materials science, diagnostics and study of cultural heritage objects using optical methods, etc.
The center’s staff are at the forefront of such major scientific and industrial fields as terahertz aquaphotonics and quantum communications. Our researchers are the first in Russia to implement quantum communications in practice. The center's know-hows are applied to build the existing (Moscow-St. Petersburg and Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod) and future (Moscow-Vladivostok) quantum networks. The partner of the center is Quanttelecom LLC.
The Research and Educational Center for Photonics and Optoinformatics currently has 160 students who actively take part in ongoing projects in photonics and optoinformatics requested by the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education and within Russian and international grant programs and contracts. During their studies, students obtain unique experience in building innovative products and acquire highly sought-after skills and competencies.
- Photonics and Optoinformatics (12.03.03 Photonics and Optoinformatics; in Russian)
- Applied Photonics (12.04.03 Photonics and Optoinformatics; in Russian)