The Faculty's main research area is "Biotechnologies of products for healthy nutrition and energy-effective engineering systems". The research conducted in this field corresponds with several priority tendencies of development of science and critical technologies of the Russian Federation.
Apart from that, the Faculty's researchers also focus on such research areas as:
- Theoretical, academic and research fundamentals of biotechnologies of polycomponent functional food products for people of different life stages;
- Resource efficient technologies for cold storage of agricultural raw materials and food products with use of additional factors;
- Development and application of new biologically active components, enzymatic and microbiological agents in food product technologies;
- Technologies and equipment for processing secondary food raw materials and new primary resources.
Among the Faculty's partner universities are
- St. Petersburg Institute of Management and Food Technology;
- Baking Industry Research Institute;
- The University of Akron (USA);
- State University of Campinas (Brazil);
- Estonian University of Life Sciences;
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (USA);
- Argo-physical Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences; N.N. Petrov Research Institute of Oncology;
- North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov;
- All-Russian Research Institute of Fats of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences;
- All-Russian Research Institute of Food Additives of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences;
The Faculty's academic staff actively works as part of the "Biotechnologies of Third Millennium" International Research Centre.
The Faculty's graduates work in all branches of the food industry, in trade and public catering enterprises, engineering factories, design bureaus and computing centers.