Vladimir Vasilyev, Rector of ITMO University
- Corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Education (2008) and the Russian Academy of Sciences (2011);
- Current member and corresponding member of numerous industrial and international academies;
- Author of over 220 scientific papers, as well as 26 patents and inventions in advanced methods of optical fiber manufacturing and global telecommunication systems, which had a significant impact on the development of the Internet in Russia;
- Co-creator and supervisor of the largest federal university computer network RUNNet (Russian University Network).
- 1974 – graduated from Leningrad Polytechnic Institute (currently Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University);
- 1983 – joined Leningrad Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics (LITMO);
- 1991 – established the Department of Information Technologies;
- 1993 – became the First Vice Rector of ITMO University;
- 1996-present – became the Rector of ITMO University;
- 2004-2017 – headed the Council of St. Petersburg Rectors;
- 2017-present – lead the university-based Smart St. Petersburg program;
- 2018-present – elected the honorary consul of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay in St. Petersburg.
- Russian Government Award (2000 and 2008) and President's Award for Academic Excellence (2002 and 2003);
- Russian Order of Honor (2007), Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" IV class (2011), Order of Alexander Nevsky (2018), and other state and non-state awards;
- Honored Worker of Science and Education (2000) and Honorary Citizen of St. Petersburg (2013).
More information here.