Light Guide Photonics
Partner University: ITMO UniversityPlace of Study: Russia
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science (ITMO University)
Duration: 2 Years, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 20 July 2020
Admission Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in the field of Photonics, Fiber and Integrated Optics/Technology or equivalent, with excellent/good grades; upper-intermediate level of English*
Annual Tuition Fee: 298,000 rubles for Russian students; 318,000 rubles for international students
Career options: the program is aimed at training highly qualified specialists in the field of nanomaterials and light guide photonics. Students and graduates do research and conduct projects in the field of the development of devices and systems based on fiber optics and programmable electronics.
We live in the information age, and it is no secret that modern technologies, which are based on advances in the field of laser photonics and optoelectronics, play a very important role in our lives. Photonics covers a wide range of optical, electro-optical and optoelectronic devices and their various applications from transmitting information via optical fibers to creating new sensors that modulate light signals in accordance with the slightest changes in the environment.
Almost all modern control and communication systems use programmable digital devices equipped with microcontrollers, signal processors and programmable logic integrated circuits.
The combination of photonics and electronics opens up new opportunities and allows for increasing the capabilities of modern devices, as well as creating technologies for transmitting terabit information flows over long distances, and conducting precision measurements in the remote places of our planet, on the ocean floor, underground, under conditions of the high temperatures and radiation. It is almost impossible to imagine our modern life without all these achievements. In order to develop such systems and maintain the efficiency of existing ones, one has to possess profound knowledge and skills in the field of photonics and electronics and this program is designed to help to acquire those.
The students will:
- learn the physical principles of operation and development of the technologies for designing devices and systems on the basis of fiber/integrated optics and programmable electronics; development of principles of the fiber-optic sensors and information-measuring sensor systems creation;
- learn how to create new materials for photonics, optoelectronics, and quantum electronics;
- learn how to flowchart the computer models of optical radiation propagation processes in the waveguide systems and elements of the light guide path of sensor devices and systems created on the basis of fiber/integrated optics and programmable electronics;
- will be prepared for innovative engineering activities aimed at the development and creation of new competitive optical systems and technologies;
- will acquire deep knowledge in the field of optotechnology;
- will learn how to creatively conduct a complex experiment and apply original techniques in ambiguity to drawing adequate conclusions;
- will gain experience in designing promising optical systems and technologies;
- will develop teamwork and leadership skills necessary for successful work in a rapidly changing environment.
The main areas of activities:
- development, design, and operation of devices and systems created on the basis of fiber/integrated optics and programmable electronics;
- software development of fiber-optic sensor systems created on the basis of microelectronics;
- maintenance and operation of fiber-optic sensor systems;
- automation of the management of fiber-optic sensor devices and systems created on their basis;
- computer simulation of physical processes.
Content of the Program
* The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully. Please be informed that the double-degree option will be available only to the most successful students on a competitive basis.
How to apply?
To apply, please follow our step-by-step application guide.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
ITMO International Admission Office