Data, Culture and Visualization
Outcome (diploma or credits): Master of Science (ITMO University)
Duration: 2 years, 120 credits
Application Deadline: 15 July 2020
Admission Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in the field of social science, humanities, computational science or equivalent, with excellent/good grades; CV & motivation letter; upper-intermediate level of English (B2 according to CEFR)*
Annual Tuition Fee: 242,000 rubles for Russian students; 262,000 rubles for international students
Career Options: the program’s graduates will develop all the knowledge and skills necessary for successful work in the academic and research sector, social media management, analytics, website, CRM and metrics management, digital advertising, market research, and marketing, as well as in cultural heritage management and other creative industries.
This international Master’s program addresses the growing demand for researchers, analysts, mapmakers, designers, usability experts, and other data professionals both in Russia and abroad. Drawing on the International Digital Humanities Research Lab’s and Machine Learning Lab’s strengths in the field of data analysis and visualization, the program trains students for managing the full lifecycle of cultural data, from data acquisition and storage to statistical analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of data artifacts through visual and narrative means. The program trains highly-qualified data professionals with strong statistical and technical skills and competencies in research, communication, and design.
The students will learn:
- to ask complex questions regarding cultural data and apply appropriate methods to answer these questions;
- to formulate accurate interpretations of cultural phenomena and share them effectively through visual and narrative means;
- to choose and apply appropriate tools for cultural data collection, storage, manipulation, analysis, visualization, dissemination, and preservation, as relevant to their goals, tasks, and target audience;
- to understand the way data affects society and raise critical questions about cultural data, its interpretation, and visualization.
Contents of the Program
- Data Culture (3 credits)
- Basics of Web Development (4 credits)
- Data Visualization (5 credits)
- Product Management (4 credits)
- Programming Languages (3 credits)
- Introduction to Cultural Data Mining and Analysis (3 credits)
- Creative Technologies (4 credits)
- High Tech Business Creation (4 credits)
- Conceptual Analysis of Trends in Science Today (4 credits)
- Soft Skills (4 credits)
- Data Processing and Analysis (3 credits)
- Applied Artificial Intelligence (basic level) (3 credits)
- Applied Artificial Intelligence (advanced level) (3 credits)
- Foreign Language in Professional Activity (4 credits)
Major 2 Cultural Analytics
- Critical Theory of Digital Media (4 credits)
- Social Network Analysis (CP) (4 credits)
- Machine Learning Methods in Cultural Analytics (5 credits)
- Theory and Practice of Internet Research (4 credits)
*The applicants are required to pass entrance examination successfully.
The list of entrance examination questions
How to apply?
To apply, please follow our step-by-step application guide.
Want to enroll at ITMO without entrance examinations or tuition fees? Learn more about our contests and competitions that will give you this amazing opportunity!
- ITMO International Admission Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Coordinator, Mr. Talgat Galimzhanov, email@example.com